As a company whose regulated operations can be significantly impacted by public policies, American Water participates responsibly in the political process and makes reasonable political contributions consistent with all applicable laws and reporting requirements. American Water also holds memberships in a variety of industry, trade and business associations, which enables the Company to understand the views of others and obtain feedback on its positions.
As part of the Company’s commitment to good governance principles and transparency, and in accordance with its Board-approved Political Contribution Policy, American Water Works Company, Inc. publicly discloses on its website information related to the Company’s Political Contributions and Third-Party Payments (each as defined in the Policy) within 180 days after the end of the fiscal year. The required disclosures include information regarding:
1. Direct Political Contributions by American Water or a subsidiary, which, as of 31 de diciembre de 2018, must be made to or through the American Water Works Company, Inc. Employee Federal PAC (the "Employee Federal PAC") or a subsidiary or line-of-business PAC (a "Subsidiary PAC").
2. Political Contributions made by the Employee Federal PAC or any Subsidiary PAC.
3. Third-Party Payments to a tax-exempt organization or trade association during a fiscal year where the aggregate amount of all payments made by the Company or any subsidiary exceeds $50,000 in that fiscal year, and the Third-Party informs the Company in writing that a portion of any such payment was used for lobbying expenditures or political contributions that are considered non-deductible under Section 162(e)(1)(B) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.
These disclosures have been reviewed and approved by the Company’s Board of Directors.
The Nominating/Corporate Governance Committee, comprised solely of independent members of the Board of Directors, recommended that the Board of Directors approve the Political Contribution Policy and these disclosures, and annually will review the effectiveness of the Political Contribution Policy.
1. Direct Political Contributions made by an American Water entity during 2018:
2. Political Contributions made by the Employee Federal PAC or a Subsidiary PAC during 2018:
3. Third-Party Payments to trade associations and tax-exempt organizations, as described above: