NATIONAL SUPPLIER DIVERSITY PROGRAM
Supplier Diversity is a critical component in our ability to maintain our standards for excellence essential to deliver clean water for life!
What Is Supplier Diversity?
At American Water, “supplier diversity” isn’t a buzzword. It’s a powerful initiative that creates a network of business partners that can increase revenue, innovations, and cost savings — and adds economic value by encouraging the growth of diverse businesses. Best of all, supplier diversity helps create jobs to uplift the communities where those businesses are located.
Supplier Diversity Commitment Statement
American Water Works Service Company, Inc., its subsidiary and affiliated companies are committed to promoting diversity and economic development in the communities we serve. One way of demonstrating this is by doing business with women, minority, service-disabled veteran, and LGBT-owned vendors. American Water recognizes that creating an inclusive environment for all suppliers is vitally important to the overall success of our company.
Supplier Diversity Polices
American Water Works Service Company, Inc., its subsidiary and affiliated companies are committed to creating an inclusive procurement process that is accessible and fair to all suppliers based on their ability to meet the company's performance, price and quality requirements. Our employees are responsible for identifying, qualifying, selecting and managing the procurement process for goods and services to assure that qualified diverse suppliers are appropriately included. Our employees must comply fully with all company policies and practices relating to the inclusion of diverse suppliers. We also strongly encourage our prime contractors and major suppliers to support supplier diversity by creating a competitive procurement process that provides opportunities to the greatest extent possible for diverse supplier sub-contractors and businesses. Excellence in supplier diversity will lead to excellence in supply chain management and will advance American Water's financial and operational goals while providing opportunities for success to a wide and diverse range of businesses in the communities we serve.
Diversity Inclusion Policies
- Have an established corporate policy.
- Have top corporate management support
- Developed a Corporate Supplier Diversity Strategic Plan
- Maintain comprehensive internal and external communications about the program
- Regularly identify opportunities for diverse suppliers in strategic sourcing and supply chain opportunities
- Established a comprehensive minority supplier development process
- Track, report and set goals
- Established a continuous improvement plan
- Have a Second Tier Program
- Recognize achievements of buyers and suppliers
Diverse Supplier Development
- Provides feedback/performance reviews on RFP submissions
- Delivers an Industry or Company specific education program (Internal University)
- Provides formal mentoring program
- Provides technical and/or quality program review and support
- Works with existing diverse suppliers to expand their utilization within the company (across disciplines or geographic regions)
- Conducts Supplier Recognition Awards
- Encourages joint ventures and strategic alliances with diverse suppliers
- Utilizes diverse suppliers in an area the company Tier 1-3 Level categories
Awards & Recognition
Click here for the latest list.
Supplier & Internal Awards Program
American Water recognizes primes and diverse suppliers that have demonstrated an organizational commitment to support of American Water’s Supplier Diversity goals. Click here to learn more.
Calendario de eventos
Click here for the calendar. If you are an advocacy or support organization that has some event opportunities to share, please direct your email to AW - Supplier Diversity (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Contact Information for the National Supplier Diversity Team
Sr. Manager, National Supplier Diversity
Sharon Manker, M.Ed.
Sr. Diversity Program Lead, National Supplier Diversity
Alternately you can contact your local American Water office directly and ask to be put in touch with the local Supply Chain personnel.